A friend of mine just got banned from the Energy Discussion Forum on Farcebook by the group's willfully ignorant FASCIST admin G██ C██████.
My friend's egregious infraction?
Must have been something he said that warranted the removal of all of his posts, expulsion from the group, and personal block from said admin's profile.
Was it a personal attack?
Did he make a terroristic threat?
Was he guilty of violating the groups rules? ...or those of Farcebook?
He gave an erudite opinion about the current state of the EV market. That's all.
Heres' what was said that got him banned...
Calling an ICEV an FFV is evidence of confirmation bias. It's a deliberate deception, a manipulation, and a misnomer.
A vehicle that runs on corn ethanol only... is NOT a "fossil" fuel vehicle... nor is a diesel-engined car that only uses bio-diesel as its fuel source. ICEVs can use everything from wood gas to gasoline to diesel to compressed natural gas to carbon-free hydrogen gas... anything that burns can be used as fuel if prepared properly.
Also, ICEVs have MANY advantages over EVs at this point in time, and to ignore all of these real-world, meaningful, and immediately beneficial advantages is just intellectually dishonest.
Constantly saying "EVs are superior to ICEVs in every category except range." is like me saying "ICEVs are superior to EVs in every category except efficiency." Both statements require overlooking a great many nuanced details.
Besides, gasoline derived from oil in the ground *IS* solar energy, so I drive a solar-powered car. The only difference is that MY sunshine comes in a liquid.
(Check out the documentary "HOME" to learn why I say that.)
To be clear... things ICEVs excel at over EVs:
- Better range
- Higher top speed
- Can operate 24/7 indefinitely
- Useful waste heat (heating cars during winter)
- Range isn't diminished by cold weather
- Ability to work after an EMP strike (carburetor models)
- Ability to use more than one fuel
- Ability to use organically-produced fuel
- Fast refuel time
- Ubiquitous fuel availability
- Don't require exotic, rare-Earth minerals hewn from dirt by children
- Don't require giant strip-mining operations that scar the Earth
- Easily recyclable
- Far less toxic materials used in manufacture
- Many decades of usage data
- Can be safely maintained by anyone without high-voltage training
- Lighter ICEVs create less road wear
- Lighter ICEVs create less rubber dust due to longer-lasting tires
- Less harsh economic impact due to costing half what an EV does
- A meaningful amount of extra fuel can be carried by one person
- Primary "waste" product is NOT a pollutant; in fact it allows food to grow
EVEN in an EV-only future, the need for oil and oil-derived products will be greater than ever. (e.g. All organic materials like leather are being replaced by oil-derived "vegan" "leather".)
Things that absolutely REQUIRE oil to manufacture at this point in time:
- Steel body panels
- Aluminum castings
- Carbon fiber
- Safety glass for front windshield
- Safety glass for roof panels
- Mounting glue for both
- "Vegan" leather
- Seats and cushions
- Interior door panels, center console, and other trim pieces
- Door handles
- Electric motor bearing grease
- Wheel bearing grease
- Tires (Tyres for the U.K.)
- Aerodynamic wheel covers
- Brake pads
- Front fascia / bumper
- Rear fascia / bumper
- Headlight shell
- Taillight shell
- LED Lights
- Center console display panel and all included components
- Soundproofing glues and foams
- All circuit boards
- Wire insulation
- Modular wire connectors and plugs
- The actual EV plug you use to charge the EV
- Battery electrolyte fluid
- Individual battery shells
- Battery pack coolant
- Air conditioning coolant
- All fluid hoses for both
- Fluid reservoirs
- Steering wheel
- Remote access key card
(This list is NOT exhaustive.)